Timothy C. Hain, MD of Chicago Dizziness and Hearing•Most recent update:
July 29, 2022
See also:MdDS calculator•Vestibular migraine (VM) calculator•Meniere's calculator.•Questionnaires for dizziness and hearing disorders.
This page is a structured questionnaire to attempt to determine whether or not an individual has symptoms that might meet the criteria for persistent postural-perceptive dizziness, PPPD, as outlined by Dr. Staab and associates in the 2017 article referenced below. Material in quotes is copied directly from the 2017 article.
Disclaimer: This page is not a substitute for medical care, and by itself, it does not establish a diagnosis. It is not written for or appropriate for use in legal endeavors. Answers to questions are not stored. The content is drawn from this 2017 "consensus" paper of Staab et al, and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Hain.
Please answer the questions below, and then click "evaluate".
Note that according to the 2017 paper referenced below, in addition to meeting the criteria above, which are listed as items A-C, there are two additional diagnostic criteria, which are judged by your health care provider:
- D. Symptoms cause significant distress or functional impairment.
- E. Symptoms are not better accounted for by another disease or disorder.
(Note that according to the 2017 paper, "an abnormal finding on examination on physical examination or laboratory testing does not exclude a diagnosis of PPPD. Rather, when all criteria for PPPD are met, positive findings on examination or testing indicate the ongoing presence of a precipitating condition or another coexisting illness". )
There is sometimes overlap in symptoms between PPPD, VM and MdDS. For example, both PPPD and vestibular migraine include increased symptoms from visual stimulation in their symptom lists. Some patients meet the criteria for several of these symptom lists at the same time. Symptom calculators for these other entities are here MdDS calculator•Vestibular migraine (VM) calculator.
More about PPPD can be found here. • We diagnose and treat PPPD at Chicago Dizziness and Hearing.
- Cha, Y. H., et al. (2020). "Mal de debarquement syndrome diagnostic criteria: Consensus document of the Classification Committee of the Barany Society." J Vestib Res 30(5): 285-293.
- Lempert, T., et al. (2012). "Vestibular migraine: diagnostic criteria." J Vestib Res 22(4): 167-172.
- Staab, J. P., et al. (2017). "Diagnostic criteria for persistent postural-perceptual dizziness (PPPD): Consensus document of the committee for the Classification of Vestibular Disorders of the Barany Society." J Vestib Res 27(4): 191-208.