Ankylosing Spondylitis and dizziness/hearing
C. Hain, MD •Page last modified:
July 31, 2022
See also: aied• anti-gq1b• AS• behcets_disease• coganpatient• sympathetic• pandas
Ankylosing Spondylitis(AS) is a chronic inflammatory disease affecting up to 1% of the population. It is a progressive bone disease associated with fusion of the spine. Persons with severe cases of AS may be disabled because of their lack of flexibility. There are occasionally patients who have both AS and hearing symptoms.
Signs and Symptoms:
There is a modest literature concerning impaired cochleovestibular (hearing/balance) function in AS. There is increased risk of hearing loss, both conductive and sensorineural (Alatas et al, 2005; Yan et al. 2021; Ajmani et al. 2019). The conductive component may be due to arthritis of the ossicular chain (Magaro, Ceresia, and Frustaci 1984). The sensorineural component is not well characterized.
Regarding the effect of treatment, there are mainly case reports involving use of immune suppressant drugs (Niwano, Tokura, and Nagasaka 2020; Toktas et al. 2014). One report suggested that sulphasalazine caused hearing loss (Savastano et al. 2005).
Regarding the effect of treatment, there are mainly case reports (Niwano, Tokura, and Nagasaka 2020; Toktas et al. 2014). One report suggested that sulphasalazine caused hearing loss (Savastano et al. 2005).
See also: Autoimmune Inner Ear Disease
- Alatas, N., P. Yazgan, et al. (2005). "Audiological findings in patients with ankylosing spondylitis." J Laryngol Otol119(7): 534-9.
- Ajmani, S., A. Keshri, R. Srivastava, A. Aggarwal, and A. Lawrence. 2019. 'Hearing loss in ankylosing spondylitis', Int J Rheum Dis, 22: 1202-08.
- Lobo, D., J. R. Garcia-Berrocal, A. Trinidad, J. M. Verdaguer, and R. Ramirez-Camacho. 2013. 'Review of the biologic agents used for immune-mediated inner ear disease', Acta Otorrinolaringol Esp, 64: 223-9.
- Magaro, M., G. Ceresia, and A. Frustaci. 1984. 'Arthritis of the middle ear in ankylosing spondylitis', Ann Rheum Dis, 43: 658-9.
- Niwano, T., M. Tokura, and K. Nagasaka. 2020. 'Successful Treatment of Recurrent Sensorineural Hearing Loss in Ankylosing Spondylitis Using Infliximab and Methotrexate', J Clin Rheumatol, 26: e228-e29.
- Savastano, M., G. Marioni, G. Bernini, and L. Punzi. 2005. 'Tinnitus and bilateral sensorineural hearing loss: ankylosing spondylitis or a side-effect of sulphasalazine treatment?', Acta Otolaryngol, 125: 671-3.
- Toktas, H., E. Okur, U. Dundar, A. Dikici, and O. K. Kahveci. 2014. 'Infliximab has no apparent effect in the inner ear hearing function of patients with rheumatoid arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis', Clin Rheumatol, 33: 1481-7.
- Yan, F., P. D. Reddy, S. A. Nguyen, C. Ward, and T. A. Meyer. 2021. 'Hearing Loss in Patients With Ankylosing Spondylitis: A Systematic Review and Metaanalysis', J Rheumatol, 48: 40-47.
SW, Park SN. Immune-mediated sensorineural hearing loss in a patient with
ankylosing spondylitis: A case report. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2001; 125: